- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion; chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 corn tortillas (regular or fried)
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese-optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- juice from 1/2 fresh lime
- 1 cup diced, seeded Roma tomatoes or 1 cup salsa
Category : Soups etc|
Rating : 0
Contributor : suz
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; saute onions and garlic for 3 minutes. Slice or break tortillas into small pieces and add to onions and garlic; saute until they are soft. Add tomatoes, broth and spices and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Puree soup base in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth, return soup to pot.
Add chicken, corn and cream and return to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle in cheese and cilantro; stir to melt cheese. Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve topped with tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream. For spicier soup, add cayenne pepper to taste.